• February 20Leadership Workshop will begin Friday, March 22 - Sunday, March 24, at Silver Beach on the Eastern Shore.
  • February 20Spring sports tryouts will begin on Tuesday, Feb. 20, after school and continue through Friday, Feb. 23. Check with coaches for more details.
  • February 20The annual Falcon Forum conference will take place the week of March 18- March 22.
  • February 19Congratulations to Falcon wrestling for their 5A state championship win last weekend.

Falcons state championship record surpasses all Virginia high school titles

FALCON HALL OF Fame displays state championships from years past, as well as names from a variety of sports. The green and gold painted hallway shows students today greatness of the past and the Falcon tradition. (Blake Heselius)

For decades, the school’s athletes have won state championships.  So, it’s no surprise that teams from all seasons are still breaking records and bringing even more state trophies back home to the “Nest”. In fact, CHS boasts a total of Virginia High School League (VHSL) 58 state titles to date.

These VHSL titles come from a variety of different sports including: Wrestling, Girls and Boys Volleyball, Girls Tennis, Boys Swim and Dive, Boys Soccer, Gymnastics, Golf, Baseball and last but certainly not least, Field Hockey. 

Each of these sports hold a strong honor around the school in addition to the district. Boys swim and dive has one and gymnastics has two. The baseball team has won this title back in 1996 as well as 2021 & 2023. The boys volleyball team, girls tennis, and boys soccer all own four. Golf and girls volleyball have five.  The wrestling team has won a total of six titles.

The Lady Falcons Field Hockey team holds the most state titles; the team has 24 total wins and five of them are consecutive. The team is striving for another title this year.

Santo Ripa stepped into the position of head coach for the boys varsity soccer team after winning states in 2022.

“In the high school world winning a state title is the greatest accomplishment a team can achieve. Reaching that point requires so much work and so much commitment, and a lot of hopes, a lot of obstacles , and a lot of adversity. When you overcome all those things and you do get that point when you hold that trophy, the feeling is simply priceless… It’s incredible, it’s perfect, it is the epitome of perfection,” Ripa said.