Softball starts off hot this season

Brett Kassir
THE LADY FALCONS enjoy a team dinner after a win against the Marlins of Bayside High School. Locally owned Shorebreak Pizza, is a local restaurant that often hosts teams in the area. Softball joined the celebratory ranks after their sixth straight win of the season.

Lady Falcon’s softball captured their first opening day win this season which is a feat that has not happened in the last decade. Head Coach Lily Moresco took over the program three years ago and had an immediate impact on the success of the team. Each year, the teams record has improved and this year is one for the history books. 

The Lady Falcons have had a hot start to the spring season with a stunning 7-4 record. Currently ranked fifth in the region, the girls hope to keep their winning streak alive throughout the season. Moresco plans to maintain the momentum and continue their program’s newfound success. 

Softball is a game that involves both hitting and fielding, along with the grit it takes to win. The Lady Falcons excel in all of these categories, especially this season. The Lady Falcons hold an impressive 0.358 team batting average, while the pitching staff has racked up dozens of strikeouts. 

“My freshman year as a member of the varsity team, we went  2-19. I have watched my teammates, as well as our coaches, put in the work to become undefeated and it has been truly special to be a part of the growth the team has experienced. I know that we are going to go really far this year and next,” junior Olivia Peterson said.

Whenever the Falcons take the field, they are greeted with their team motto. “Demand the respect you deserve.” The sign hangs above the dugout and reminds the team they are playing for something greater than themselves.

The clear program adjustment has been made through relentless dedication. The Lady Falcons team oriented program and drive for success makes them contenders for an incredible postseason run.