• May 15Good luck to spring sports athletes as they continue into post-season play.
  • May 10Prom will be held on Saturday, June 1, at the Granby Theater in Norfolk.
  • May 10Junior Ring Dance will be held on Friday, May 17, at the MOCA.

Boy’s Lacrosse looks forward to repeat regional championship

VARSITY BOYS LACROSSE runs out to the field for warm-ups before facing off against the Dolphins of Ocean Lakes. The team was led onto the field by senior captain Will Slevin. (Olivia Peterson)

Boys Lacrosse returned to the field after last year’s triumphant season when they brought home the Regional Boys Lacrosse championship. The boys made it to the first round of the state championship last year ultimately falling short losing 12 to 5 against Freeman High School.

The team is hoping to further their previous success this year though as they are currently undefeated (7-0) in the region. With wins over: Bayside 17-1, Ocean lakes 15-2, Princess Anne 11-10, Green Run 22-1, First Colonial 13-3, Kempsville 15-2, and Salem 18-0.

Last year was the first season lacrosse was considered an official VHSL sport, up until then it was deemed a club sport. The team is headed by co-head coaches math teachers Christopher Faries and  Joseph Zirpolo, who have been coaching the team together for two years.

“Our favorite part of coaching is seeing the team improve as the season progresses and competing against other teams in VB and the state,” Zirpolo said.

The team is captained by seniors Jake Carnell, Luke Rhoades, Will Slevin, and Liam Waldron. The offense is led by Jake Carnell (19 goals, 13 assists, Liam Waldon (15 goals, 17 assists), Luke Rhoades (18 goals, 4 assists). Defensively led by seniors Will Slevin, Jeff Mitchell, Cole Hicks, Michael Collins, goalie Connor Myers and junior Cash Griffey.

“Our season is going great and we don’t want to be underestimated by the Richmond teams we can definitely play to their level and give them a hard fight. We are looking to go back to back in the regional championship and play our hardest in the states,” senior Matt Goodman said.