Swimmers dive into state competition

The Falcon Swim and Dive team recently competed in the Virginia High School League (VHSL) state final competition in which eight students competed for the Falcons, including seniors Bailey Grey and Alex Lineberry, juniors Matt Cherry, Carter Baum, Christian Braithwaite and sophomores Peyton McDonald and Ben Kraus and freshman Colt Bradshaw.

Lineberry took home gold for the Falcons in the 100m backstroke, while Baum won 3rd place in the 50m freestyle and the 100m freestyle. The boys’ 200 freestyle relay consisted of Baum, Bradshaw, Cherry, and Lineberry, as they placed 5th. The boys’ 400 freestyle relay, consisting of Baum, Kraus, Cherry, and Lineberry, placed 16th. 

Christian Braithwaite proved himself to be a key factor come the postseason run.

“We trained hard and tried our best but did not get the desired results,” Braithwaite said.

Although, Falcon Swim & Dive athletes did not achieve their desired goal, to win the state championship all around, it was mostly due to the tough competition they faced, from teams in Northern Virginia. Though the Falcons fell short they did not take the season for granted, and are confident in what they have learned and accomplished and are ready to get after it next year.