Indoor Track team moves swiftly to finish line

MEMBERS OF THE boys track team gearing up at the start of a race. The boys were standing at the start line waiting for the cue. (courtesy of Roland Doan)

A sometimes forgotten winter sport, clouded over by sports such as basketball, wrestling, and gymnastics would be Indoor Track. Indoor track, although similar to outdoor track, is raced on a track that is 200 meters- half the size of the outdoor track.

Because of this, athletes have to run more corners and make tighter turns indoors than they would outdoors. Other differences include length of races and athletes who run the 100-meter race in outdoor season often run the 55-meter race during indoor.

“Watching our athletes going out and dominating in their heats was honestly amazing and because I am friends with lots of people on the team, I know it takes a lot of hard work, time and dedication, so it was really nice to watch it pay off for all of them,” Aidan New, an avid supporter of the track team, said.

In high school indoor track and field the most common events are the 55-meter dash, 300-meter dash, 600-meter run, 1000-meter run, 1600-meter run, 3200-meter run, and various relay races. Indoor track competes at meets located at the VB Sports Center at the oceanfront.

According to Sophia Shupert, a junior on the team, competes in both pole vault and hurdles, adding that track is her favorite after school activity and it provides a place where she can clear her head and allow her to stay healthy.

Falcon Indoor track teams are both coached by science teacher Eliot Weinstein.