• April 26Good luck to spring sports athletes as they continue their seasons.
  • April 25Seniors: graduation necessities will be delivered to school, or order through jostens.com.
  • April 20Congrats to Orchestra students who earned accolades in Orlando; 1st place Orchestra award and weekend Grand Champion.
  • April 16Spring spirit week and the spring pep rally will be held the week of April 22.

Varsity Swim & Dive teams jump into their season

The Falcons Swim & Dive team strive for a chance at states again this season, both in team and individual events. But, the teams’ regular season standing holds at a record of 1-2 to date, so they have to up the ante. Head Coaches Jeff Kwiatkowski and Sara Pierce continue to lead the Falcons in the effort.

We are looking forward to seeing senior Alex Lineberry and junior Carter Baum dominate the 5A Region and Class 5 state meet. Alex competes in the 200 meter Individual Medley and the 100 meter Backstroke, while Carter swims the 50 meter Freestyle and 100 meter Freestyle,” Pierce said. 

While the boys ended with a record of 3-3 last season, senior Alex Lineberry, as well as juniors Carter Baum, Matt Cherry, and Christian Braithwaite have already qualified to compete for the 200 freestyle relay in the Virginia High School League (VHSL) State Championship.

¨The swim and dive team here at Cox has been nothing but a great experience; I joined the team last year because my friends were on it, and it was the best decision,¨ Braithwaite said.

Last season, the Lady Falcons ended with a record of 4-1 and plan to keep the momentum steady as they move through the next month of competition. They are excited to see what this new year brings and just how far swimming can take them both physically and mentally.

¨Swimming is a great sport because it is something everyone can do. It helps you move every part of your body in a safe way to get in your cardio. If you are lucky enough to be on a team that becomes almost like your second family it is even better. On our swim team we gain more skills, opportunities, and friends,” junior Francesca DeAngelis said.