Girl’s basketball welcomes new coaching staff

THE GIRLS BASKETBALL team “shaking hands” with their opponents from Maury after their scrimmage. The team won 45-39 with an excitingly close game throughout. (courtesy of Izzy Jooste)

The Girls Falcon varsity basketball team welcomes a new coaching staff this year following the departure of former Head Coach Shannon Drury. Drury coached the team for the past two years with the help of Assistant Coach Ramone “Snow” Snowden.

This season, Snowden has taken over as head coach and will be assisted by one of the school’s new PE teachers Meghan “Mat” Matulewicz.  In the previous few years the girls records have been way less than ideal, boasting a whopping 1-21 season last year. This year however, the girls are expected to do much better and have high hopes for their season to come.

This year the team is led by senior captains Rachel Fox and Rhyan Edmunds. Members of the team seemingly feel good about the coaching changes and have already experienced a tremendous change in dynamics and in the team as a whole.

“I’m very excited about this season, [and] I’ve personally seen a lot of improvements from everyone throughout the summer and I’m just ready to see what everyone can do as a team and accomplish this year, “Snowden said.  “It’s definitely a change with more responsibilities, but a challenge I’m more than ready to accept.”

Snow previously played basketball for James Madison University and played local high school ball at Kellam High School. Matulewicz was previously coached softball at Corporate Landing Middle School, but played basketball during her four years in high school. The experience both coached bring to the court will hopefully allow them to understand the players and give more insight as to help the girls.

According to Coach Mat, coaching high school compared to middle school is much different. High school players have already developed a deeper love for the game, and have more complex emotions and higher expectations for themselves. She is excited to work with her new team and agrees that each  practice and game brings something new.