• April 26Good luck to spring sports athletes as they continue their seasons.
  • April 25Seniors: graduation necessities will be delivered to school, or order through jostens.com.
  • April 20Congrats to Orchestra students who earned accolades in Orlando; 1st place Orchestra award and weekend Grand Champion.
  • April 16Spring spirit week and the spring pep rally will be held the week of April 22.

Softball offers extra opportunities; “Fall Ball” season

SOPHOMORE LINDSEY BABER takes a few swings during batting practice. Behind the coach, Barber’s fellow players rush to “shag” the hit balls. (courtesy of Lily Moresco)

Fall is a time for many sports to compete in regular season games such as: football, volleyball, field hockey, cross country, golf, and cheer.

But, for spring sports teams, such as softball, it is a time of year to compete in what has become known as “Fall Ball.” During Fall Ball season, schools’ softball programs scrimmage each other each week, providing extra pre-season practice for the teams. Along with the Falcons, other participating schools include: Princess Anne,  Salem, Bayside, and Ocean Lakes High Schools. Returning players from these schools use the practices and scrimmages as an opportunity to prepare and gain confidence for their upcoming spring season.

Although these scrimmages do not count toward the actual season’s record, they are considered actual games because umpires are still utilized. There are no tryouts, so anyone interested in softball is welcome to come out and play.

“Fall ball gives us the chance to work with potential players on their skills and fundamentals before tryouts begin in February,” varsity Head Coach Lily Moresco said. “This will allow us to jump right into game preparation when the season begins. It is also a great chance for the potential players to establish a strong sense of community and ‘team’ chemistry.”

This year marks Moresco’s third year as the CHS varsity head coach, while Bruce Ruddock is at the helm of the junior varsity team. Moresco and Ruddock plan to keep up the momentum and continue their program’s newfound successes from last season.

According to junior Morgan Hauser, fall ball is a great way to continue to get to know each other better and get to know the freshmen and new players. She looks forward to the regular season and to see all the progress they’ve made pay off.