Cross Country “runs” their way to regionals

Boys and Girls Cross Country running, a sometimes forgotten fall sport, has outdone itself this season.  The boys record is 15-3, while the girls follow up with a 14-4 record. Both teams will advancing to regional competition with hopes to further that success and send several individuals and at least one team to states.

Cross country running, often confused with track and field, is a sport in which teams and individuals run races on outdoor courses over natural terrain. Although the length of races vary, cross country races in high school are typically found to be 5k (3.1 miles). The length of the courses depends on many factors with the main one being the type and duration of the terrain.

“The team has been working extremely hard this season and it has gone very well,” Head Coach Roland “Lanny” Doan said.

This year’s cross country captains are seniors Rex Lemmon for the boys and Finely Palmer for the girls. Both Lemmon and Palmer have shown exceptional promise this season and hope to continue their streak.

According to Doan, the girls team is led by sophomore Hadley Cooper, freshman Danielle Maynor, and junior Scarlett Guzman; while senior Braden Cruz, junior Mason Holland, and senior Rex Lemmon led the boys.