Jack Camper: catching dreams

SOPHOMORE JACK CAMPER was recently chosen to attend the elite IMG Sports Academy.

courtesy of Infinity Photography

Sophomore football player Jack Camper was recently accepted into the IMG Sports Academy in Bradenton, FL, a boarding school for elite student-athletes who are chosen to train in their sport with hopes of joining the ranks of professional play.

Q: What is this program about? What did you have to do to get into this and why did they choose you?

A: “Blake, my older brother, got a scholarship from IMG for his senior year. But he turned it down because he was already captain here at Cox and had committed to play for Rutgers at the time. They already knew my last name from him. Once my sophomore season was finished, IMG invited me to visit there and they offered me a full ride. They chose me because of my height and skill set. I’m tall and quick, making me a duel threat to play tight end and wide receiver on the offensive side of the ball. But, I can also play on the defensive side of the back.”

Q: When are you leaving for this and how do you feel about it?

A: “I’m happy about it. I feel like it will help me grow as an athlete and a person. Also Wide Receiver Coach E.G. Green is a very strong Christian so it will help me grow in my Christian beliefs. And, I am leaving sometime in early July.”

Q: Where are you going to stay and are you still taking classes in a school setting?

A: “There is a conjoined apartment complex right next to the campus. All of the other athletes live on campus. But for my junior year I’m going to live with my momma. And, yes it is like an athletic boarding school, so I’m going to be taking regular high school courses.”

Q: Why did you decide to accept this offer?

A: “The fact that college athletes going into the NFL combine go there to train, such as Russell Wilson who plays for the Seattle Seahawks, solidifies my beliefs of their legitimacy.  And the lack of bad influences will make concentrating on football easier.

Q: Who will coach you? 

A: “Coach E.G. Green. He is the wide receiver coach at IMG. The previous head coach just left and they have announced Kevin Wright as head coach.”