Great Neck Rec Basketball Season Preview

Basketball season has arrived and for those who don’t play on the varsity team, they take their talents to the rec court.

The Great Neck Recreational Basketball Association  (GNRBA) plays host to a plethora of teams, all but one of which are made up of Falcon students.This year’s teams are the Sombreros, Tropics, Falcons, Clout Boys, Knicks, and Nuggets.

The  two best teams, the Tropics and the Sombreros, are also bitter rivals and are the only teams returning in the 17 and 18-year-old division. The two teams are pre-season favorites to meet in the championship.

The Falcons with play-maker Matt Hunt and Nuggets with star point guard Carson DiNardo enter as underdogs but could easily be walking away with the championship trophy when things are all said and done.

senior Tropics forward Grayson Goodove has played the league for three years

” I’m really excited about this season. I think it’ll be one of the most competitive ones yet,” Goodove said.

The school’s students have found the GNRBA as a great outlet to showcase their athletic abilities for many years, but this year showed a boost in membership as many more students are looking for a fun way to get active.

Six teams have already been formed and a few more are in development. The league is looking at its best membership in years, acting as an intramural competition for students that is not a school sponsored activity.

“Intramural sports are great, anyone can play and anyone can have fun. It’s great to keep me busy in the offseason from school sports. It’s also a great way for me to stay in shape,” DiNardo said.