Rising up for education

THE VIRGINIA TEACHERS for Tomorrow class attends the Virginia Symposium.

Staff

Virginia Beach City Public Schools is hosting the Virginia State Leadership Conference for student members of Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow (VTfT) at Kellam HS on Saturday March 12. Its purpose is to help future teachers and leaders showcase their talents.

VTfT students from various schools across the state will have the opportunity to participate in an Educator’s Rising competition.

Educator’s Rising is a national organization created to help aid students in becoming a future educator.

The school has three VTfT students participating in the event.

Seniors Peter Sterling, Brooke Moore, and Emily Staskin are currently preparing for their chosen event at the competition.

Staskin, a VTfT II student, is eager to participate in both the Impromptu Speaking and the job interview event.

“I have learned so much about applying for a job, between writing a relevant resume and an engaging cover letter. I  am very excited to have the opportunity to practice skills I will need in the real world when I pursue my first teaching job! I am nervous about the impromptu speaking because there is really little preparation I can do for it but I know it will help me improve upon my public speaking skills,” Staskin said.

The top five places in each event will have the opportunity to compete at the Educator’s Rising National Conference in June.

“I’m just so excited to have the chance to be a part of the VTfT program. I’m very passionate about teaching and film, and to be able to combine the two in my recruitment video feels great,” Sterling said.