• June 6Seniors: mandatory grad practice at 10:35 a.m. at the VBCC on Monday, June10.
  • June 5Good luck to spring sports athletes as they continue into post-season play.
  • June 5Seniors: mandatory graduation meeting held at the school on Tuesday, June 11, at noon.
  • May 29Graduation will take place on June 14, at 1 p.m., at the Virginia Beach Convention Center.
  • April 9Monday, April 15, is a staff day; no school for students.
  • April 8Good Luck to all spring sports teams as they continue regular season play.
  • February 20Leadership Workshop will begin Friday, March 22 - Sunday, March 24, at Silver Beach on the Eastern Shore.
  • February 20The annual Falcon Forum conference will take place the week of March 18- March 22.
  • November 29Orchestra's winter concert will take place on Tuesday, Dec. 19, featuring a guest artist from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
  • November 29Underclass course/elective selection: come to the gym during One Lunch during the week of Monday, Dec. 11- Friday, Dec. 15.

CHS seniors volunteer, give back to community charitable foundations

HONORS AND CORE English12 students assist the Sarah Michelle Peterson Foundation representative as part of the hand-on learning portion of the CCCRI project. They were tasked with making pull tags with suicide awareness information, folding pamphlets, and creating small cards. (Erin Tonelson)

CHS seniors finished their Service-Learning Experience projects last week in their English 12 Core and Honors classes. The project was led by English teachers Mrs. Erskine, Mrs. McGovern, Ms. Tonelson, and Library Media Specialist Mrs. Ludford.

According to the Virginia Department of Education(VDOE) these projects are a part of students’ College, Career, and Civic Readiness Index (CCCRI). Credits for CCCRI’s can be earned in many ways, such as advanced coursework, work-based learning, and service learning, and are required to graduate.

Before beginning their projects students filled out their CHS English 12 Service-Learning documents. The assignment was split into two sections.

In Section One, students were told to think about their core values, and then pick the two they found most important.

Then based on the four types of service, students were required to list the two that appealed to them most. The four types of service were: Direct Service, Indirect Service, Advocacy, and Research.

After completing both tasks, students had to include their community service background, and then research the four organizations CHS partnered with for the project: Virginia Beach Animal Care and Adoption Center (VBACAC), the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), We Are VB and the Sarah Michelle Peterson Foundation.

In Section Two, students were required to research the organization they chose to help, and then pick their task.

The tasks included: Preparing and creating an outdoor “You Are Not Alone Garden of Stones” garden in the CHS wing with NAMI, creating Collaborative Snuffle mats or cat toys for VBACAC, designing inspirational cards for teens in need for We are VB, or making pull tags with suicide awareness info, folding pamphlets and creating small cards for the Sarah Michelle Peterson Foundation.

“We’re hoping to connect them (the students) with organizations and let them know that there are lots of non-profits out there that can help them in their lives . . .” Ludford said. “The gift of time and helping others is the greatest gift there is. ”

After completing their tasks for their organizations, the students were able to reflect on their experiences.

Some seniors felt that their community project helped them to become more empathetic to others.

“I believe the senior class project strengthened our ability to be empathetic because when we were doing the various projects it helped to put us in their perspective and learn more about their stories while further understanding what the organization does,” Rhyan Edmunds said.

Others believed the projects broadcasted the importance of helping their community.

“The service project offered an inciteful experience for all Cox seniors to give back to their community,” Kevin Scafe said. “I didn’t realize the true variety of different local community service organizations in our community service organizations . . . until we researched for the project.”