Three students earn awards, Sisters Association of Virginia Beach Youth Ambassador competition

Sister Cities Association of Virginia Beach (SCAVB) recently hosted its annual Youth Ambassador competition at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), in which three CHS students competed including senior Sydney Miller and sophomores Aubrey Swain and Elias Maeland.
After submitting their applications in for acceptance in February, seven contestants were offered the opportunity to be considered for a $4,000 scholarship. They also had the opportunity to serve as a community leader for and promote the Sisters Cities’ mission of “promoting peace through mutual respect, understanding, and cooperation–one individual, one community at a time.”
According to Swain, the event began with students pitching ideas on stage as they competed against their peers. Three of these students were selected for the final round of impromptu questions and the winner and runner-ups were announced.
Swain earned the title of  this year’s SCAVB Youth Ambassador, and will serve as a member of the SCAVB board. She will also have the opportunity to attend local cultural events to promote SCAVBs’ mission of “world peace through citizen diplomacy”.
“I was extremely excited to win and thrilled that I get to attend events for the SCAVB for the year,” Swain said.
Additionally, two other Falcon students brought home awards from the SCAVB event. Senior Sydney Miller won first place in the 2D Art Category at the Third Annual Art contest and received a prize check for $300.
Sophomore Elias Maeland won 2nd runner-up for his informational oratory about the connection between Moss, Norway, and Virginia Beach. Maeland will receive a $1,000 scholarship to his college of choice.
According to Gifted Resource teacher and Co-committee Chair of the Youth Ambassador Competition and Art Contest Mrs. Roberson, SCAVB is part of a “local chapter” of the national non-profit organization, Sister’s Cities International, and includes sister cities all over the world.
Roberson was instrumental in her work with other teachers in effort to identify students for the competition and encourage them to apply.
“I am so proud of our students and it brings me such joy to know that they are receiving recognition for their hard work and gaining valuable experience as well,” Roberson said.