• June 6Seniors: mandatory grad practice at 10:35 a.m. at the VBCC on Monday, June10.
  • June 5Good luck to spring sports athletes as they continue into post-season play.
  • June 5Seniors: mandatory graduation meeting held at the school on Tuesday, June 11, at noon.
  • May 29Graduation will take place on June 14, at 1 p.m., at the Virginia Beach Convention Center.
  • April 9Monday, April 15, is a staff day; no school for students.
  • April 8Good Luck to all spring sports teams as they continue regular season play.
  • February 20Leadership Workshop will begin Friday, March 22 - Sunday, March 24, at Silver Beach on the Eastern Shore.
  • February 20The annual Falcon Forum conference will take place the week of March 18- March 22.
  • November 29Orchestra's winter concert will take place on Tuesday, Dec. 19, featuring a guest artist from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
  • November 29Underclass course/elective selection: come to the gym during One Lunch during the week of Monday, Dec. 11- Friday, Dec. 15.

Annual Shamrock race runs through Oceanfront, St. Patrick’s Day

Each year the Oceanfront is home to the Yuengling Shamrock Marathon, now in it’s 52nd year, which takes place over St. Patrick’s Day weekend, Friday, March 15- Sunday, March 17. The St. Patty’s day tradition is accessible to anyone and everyone, providing a variety of distance races and activities for all ages. Participants can move on in multiple levels of advancement including a marathon, half marathon, an 8k, as well as other challenges.

Once runners finish the scenic course, with the finish line overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, the party continues with post-race celebrations at several local restaurants along the beach boardwalk that includes Yuengling’s signature drinks and lots of live music.

“The best part of the race was running with my best friends and staying together throughout,” PE teacher Megan Matulewicz said. “We participated in the 8k and the weather made it even more enjoyable, along with all the people supporting.”

As locals know, tourist season ends with summer, so by this time of year, any events that draw a crowd brings a much needed economic boost. It allows shops, hotels, and businesses an opportunity to have some out of season business and to gear up for warmer weather and the influx of people.

A longstanding tradition in Virginia Beach, the Shamrock  Marathon spans generations, who remember seeing the races each year, a staple for locals. The race also allows spectators to walk adjacent to the boardwalk to cheer on racers as they leave it on “track.”