Annual Shamrock race runs through Oceanfront, St. Patrick’s Day

Each year the Oceanfront is home to the Yuengling Shamrock Marathon, now in it’s 52nd year, which takes place over St. Patrick’s Day weekend, Friday, March 15- Sunday, March 17. The St. Patty’s day tradition is accessible to anyone and everyone, providing a variety of distance races and activities for all ages. Participants can move on in multiple levels of advancement including a marathon, half marathon, an 8k, as well as other challenges.

Once runners finish the scenic course, with the finish line overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, the party continues with post-race celebrations at several local restaurants along the beach boardwalk that includes Yuengling’s signature drinks and lots of live music.

“The best part of the race was running with my best friends and staying together throughout,” PE teacher Megan Matulewicz said. “We participated in the 8k and the weather made it even more enjoyable, along with all the people supporting.”

As locals know, tourist season ends with summer, so by this time of year, any events that draw a crowd brings a much needed economic boost. It allows shops, hotels, and businesses an opportunity to have some out of season business and to gear up for warmer weather and the influx of people.

A longstanding tradition in Virginia Beach, the Shamrock  Marathon spans generations, who remember seeing the races each year, a staple for locals. The race also allows spectators to walk adjacent to the boardwalk to cheer on racers as they leave it on “track.”