• June 6Seniors: mandatory grad practice at 10:35 a.m. at the VBCC on Monday, June10.
  • June 5Good luck to spring sports athletes as they continue into post-season play.
  • June 5Seniors: mandatory graduation meeting held at the school on Tuesday, June 11, at noon.
  • May 29Graduation will take place on June 14, at 1 p.m., at the Virginia Beach Convention Center.

Cultures Come Together to Showcase Authentic Food Trucks to CHS students

CULINARY STUDENTS PRESENT freshly made French cuisine; croque monsieur. This food truck was declared as the “best” by student vote. (Erin Horan)

CHS Culinary I and II teacher Amy Goodman and her culinary students teamed up with world language and art students to create various food trucks from different cultures.

Goodman joined forces with Spanish teacher Sherri Hatcher, French teacher Rex Hamaker, German teacher Charlotte Berron, and Art teacher Mylinda McKinney to create an integrated project for their students.

“The experience was really collaborative. Culinary came up with dishes, the art classes designed food trucks made out of cardboard, and we translated the menus describing the food. We also had students briefing other classes on how to say certain phrases such as ‘I would like,’ and ‘thank you,’ in a different language,” German teacher Charlotte Berron said.

Goodman and the other teachers involved teamed up to brainstorm ideas as to how to expose students to different cultures through food and art.  The result was a collaboration was a student driven, hands-on opportunity for students to utilize their foreign language skills, art skills while developing and creating a variety of cuisines.

According to Goodman, it was a great experience giving everyone freedom to show off their skills, come up with recipes, and work together to create the whole session.

After sampling diverse foods and observing food trucks that displayed  their particular style of food, students voted and were able to showcase their favorite dishes.