• February 20Leadership Workshop will begin Friday, March 22 - Sunday, March 24, at Silver Beach on the Eastern Shore.
  • February 20Spring sports tryouts will begin on Tuesday, Feb. 20, after school and continue through Friday, Feb. 23. Check with coaches for more details.
  • February 20The annual Falcon Forum conference will take place the week of March 18- March 22.
  • February 19Congratulations to Falcon wrestling for their 5A state championship win last weekend.

Annual “Polar Plunge” brings the chill

Thousands of ‘plungers’ attacked the frosty waters of the Atlantic Ocean in Virginia Beach as part of the annual “Polar Plunge” event last weekend which provides an unyielding, inclusive opportunity for athletes, students, workers, and anyone else looking to benefit.  The event is one of many fundraisers hosted by Special Olympics of Virginia.

Special Olympics of Virginia’s mission remains clear according to its website, and that is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for persons with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy, and participate in the sharing of gifts, skills, and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community.

According to PolarPlunge.com, plunging is more than just taking a dip in the ice cold, but rather creating an inclusive environment for more than 21,000+ Special Olympics Virginia athletes. The event itself is about fundraising for these athletes in order for them to pay for travel, other expenses high-level competition includes, as well as medical care.   

Many Falcons were involved and participated in the plunge, including junior Ava Altumara who attended the plunge with her family in order to show support for Special Olympics and all that is involved in their mission.

¨It was an awesome experience and I was fascinated as to how many people came out to participate. It was definitely freezing cold and uncomfortable, but I had a really good time and it’s for a great cause.¨