• April 26Good luck to spring sports athletes as they continue their seasons.
  • April 25Seniors: graduation necessities will be delivered to school, or order through jostens.com.
  • April 20Congrats to Orchestra students who earned accolades in Orlando; 1st place Orchestra award and weekend Grand Champion.
  • April 16Spring spirit week and the spring pep rally will be held the week of April 22.

Annual Memory Project encourage student creativity

Art Teacher Jessica Van Veenhuyzen, or better known as Mrs.V, has her art students participate in the memory project each year.

The Memory Project is a non-profit organization that was founded in 2004 by university student Ben Schumaker to offer students the opportunity to create pieces of art that are shipped to countries around the world and given to the recipients.

According to the founder the Memory Project, first got its name from its original intention, which was to provide handmade, heartfelt portraits as special memories to children in orphanages.

Schumaker started the project because he was passionate about connecting the youth around the world through art, and thus help to build cultural understanding and international kindness. Advanced Art students create realistic portraits, while more novice art students create “identity art” featuring their names and inspiring words.  The aim of both art forms is to honor the children, touch their hearts, provide encouragement, and promote positive self-esteem.

“Art is a universal language. I encourage my students to utilize their talents to create awareness and to make the world a more beautiful place,” Mrs. V. said. “I was researching non-profits that incorporated art into their mission and stumbled across The Memory Project back in 2016. ”

This is the 8th year Mrs. V has completed the memory project with her students and has been instrumental in creating portraits  for children in countries such as Ukraine, Haiti, Philippines, Pakistan, Cameroon, Nigeria, and Syria.