• February 20Leadership Workshop will begin Friday, March 22 - Sunday, March 24, at Silver Beach on the Eastern Shore.
  • February 20Spring sports tryouts will begin on Tuesday, Feb. 20, after school and continue through Friday, Feb. 23. Check with coaches for more details.
  • February 20The annual Falcon Forum conference will take place the week of March 18- March 22.
  • February 19Congratulations to Falcon wrestling for their 5A state championship win last weekend.

Falcon Stage Company theater presents #Censored, One-Act play

Erin Horan
SENIOR STUDENT DIRECTORS Syriana Price, Billy Westra, and Quentin Shapero rehearse for their annual One-Act production. The performances were held January 25 and 26, and plans to demonstrate the cost of censorship.

The CHS Theatre department, a.k.a. Falcon Stage Company (FSC),  presented their annual Virginia High School League (VHSL) One-Act play: #CENSORED.  #CENSORED is a drama written by Maria McConville that focuses on a school art fair derailed by a controversial art piece, painted by a mysterious “artist.” The production is directed by Theatre teacher Michelle Machay, along with seniors: student director Billy Westra, stage manager Syriana Price, and tech director Quentin Shapero. 

“It’s going to be an amazing play, the students are working hard and it’s coming along,” Machay said, “I hope my students have fun and learn more about the power of theatre. When we go to see theatre and participate in it, whether being on stage, back stage, or in the audience, we are a part of that story.”

The play is an ensemble driven show that forces the audience to question the reliability of the (so-called) “divisive” painting. Through this painting, the “artist” is able to call out the school, other students, teachers, administrators, and the audience on their bigoted perspectives. In addition, a variety of key topics such as freedom of speech, art’s true purpose, appropriateness, and the importance of hope are reflected on throughout the play, driving the message of “Where is the line?” and, “Who gets to decide it?” 

FSC is made up of six departments in which 45 students make up the cast and crew. The departments include: sound, lights, costumes, publicity, props, and set. Each area works behind the scenes throughout the play in order to enhance the quality of the production. 

According to junior publicity director Aurora Lavelle, the play has a message that needs to be heard; it’s important for artists to have their voices heard, and theatre is telling the story. 

FSC performed for CHS on Thursday, January 25 and Friday, January 26 and then competed on Saturday, January 27, at the Performing Arts Academy, Salem High School. 

“We’ve come a long way, and I think that everyone who sees our production will really be blown away by all our efforts,” Westra said.