Falcon baseball hosts annual champions league event

FRESHMAN JACKSON WHITE assists the player to earn her medal. Every player was rewarded with a medal for their efforts. (Courtesy Of Cox Baseball)

The Falcons baseball program held the annual Great Neck Champions League game this past weekend at the school’s Tilley Field. The Great Neck Champions League is a special organization for kids who come from disadvantaged backgrounds but still want to participate in activities or sports like baseball. This is a great opportunity for the Falcon players to collaborate and create relationships with younger generations.

Additionally, this year Great Neck invited the Kempsville Champions League to their event adding to the experience and tradition that Falcon baseball provides.

Every year, the Falcons players come into this event with the idea to mentor the younger players. With that, during the game between the two Champions League teams, each player has a Falcons player or a “buddy” who guides them throughout the game. The older players guided the children through running the bases, hitting the ball, and catching the ball, and then through a scrimmage. 

“This is an awesome opportunity for the kids to have the time of their lives and for their parents to enjoy watching them,” junior James Godfrey said. “This is a very special moment for the parents of these children, because of the opportunity it gives them. These children do not get to participate in the everyday activities that most kids get to do, but this event held by Falcons Baseball allowed them to do so.”