Marching Falcons stride to victory

The Falcon Marching Band has started off their season strong, taking home the 1st place title after their performance, the “Composition of Color” at Hickory High School recently. They managed to bring home their first win of the year, hoping to continue their streak. But, before their outstanding performance, the Band was introduced in the Neptune Parade. 

The Falcons walked away with five of the six trophies in the contest for the school, winning best music, visuals, and color guard, as well as how well they worked together in combinations and best percussion. As the Falcons were one of the smallest bands in the competition, they still managed to come come out on top,  allowing only one trophy to go to another school.

Band director Mike Lane and various other staff instructors organized the instruments and visuals, teaching various segments of the performance to the students as well. Drum major Julia Thoe and Band Captain Zairelie Rodriguez-Arce were responsible for conducting and leading the band.

The parade and performance took effort from everyone and members were given a tight schedule and no one could afford to be late.

“It was absolutely exhausting. I hated doing the parade in the morning, but I think the only people who actually enjoy parades are the ones who watch it. Though I am super proud of how well we did during the performance,”  Woodwind Captain Emily Cotter said.

Their last competition was on Saturday, October 14, at the Virginia Beach Sports Complex where they placed 1st in their class despite the poor weather.