• April 26Good luck to spring sports athletes as they continue their seasons.
  • April 25Seniors: graduation necessities will be delivered to school, or order through jostens.com.
  • April 20Congrats to Orchestra students who earned accolades in Orlando; 1st place Orchestra award and weekend Grand Champion.
  • April 16Spring spirit week and the spring pep rally will be held the week of April 22.

Esports return to screens, time to log in

This year we log on for another year of Esports.

Video games have become a fun and fulfilling pass time for students of all ages.  Players are allowed to connect and compete with unique people from different schools.  Along with this, students get to connect with peers through teamwork.

According to Harvard International Review, Esports are video games that are played in a highly organized competitive environment. These games can range from popular, team-oriented multiplayer online battle arenas (MOBAs), to single player first person shooters, to survival battle royales, to virtual reconstructions of physical sports.

The Esports phenomena came to our school in early November roughly two years ago.  Since then, the activity has become fairly popular within our school for people and many students. A great deal of the game’s success comes from the ability to play from virtually anywhere.  Students who participate in this extracurricular activity, whether they’re new to the team or not, often already have experience playing on online sports teams which makes becoming a part of this team a bit more appealing. 

According to the VHSL Esports website , there is preseason play and regular season play which lasts from the end of September to mid-November.   The more popular games offered are League of Legends, Rocket League, and Super Smash Ultimate are the games that are offered during the tournaments and championships. 

The school’s Esports team is currently sponsored by the Counseling Office Data Tech Mr. Duggan and the team often practices after school in room 214 to engage in games such as Mario Kart, Fortnite, Splatoon, Madden NFL, NBA 2K, and more.   

“We are going to try to take a title this year,” senior David Hummel said. “In addition, they also compete in the fall and spring championships against other schools within the district. ”  

The Falcons Esports team Fall Championship will be held at Shenandoah University on Saturday, December 16.