Chromebooks are the new norm for VBCPS students

Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) has adopted the 1:1 technology initiative in every school this year that enables each student to have their own Chromebook for the entire school year, creating a system in which every student has access to technology.

The purpose of the 1:1 initiative is that it enables students to work more interactively and collaboratively using technology based learning practices.  While this does give students and teachers a bit more freedom, the technology is not always 100 percent reliable.  Students and teachers agree that this newest addition to the classroom comes with both positive and negative reactions and opinions.

Some see the Chromebook as a good resource. Perhaps everyone is stuck at home for weeks due to a snowstorm or if another type of emergency closes school, it is possible to stay current and on track. Teachers are now able to give students classwork at home, instead of having to make up those days we miss, providing power is available.  Students do appreciate that aspect of having the Chromebooks to take home because they won’t have to worry about extended time every day, or getting other days off taken away.

“I think it’s awesome that the school system allows every student to have a Chromebook because it gives them an easier learning experience,” senior Kassidy Smith said.

Chromebooks allow teachers to set up lessons, quizzes, assessments, and tests online for students. And, while this creates, perhaps, a faster, easier way to take tests, it does create difficulties, often leaving students questioning the true reason behind creating this new system.

“It’s a good idea by the school system, but we’ll have to see how it works out.  I haven’t made up my mind about it yet,” sophomore Ivory Kamzura said.

One of the negatives to using Chromebooks is that students are already having trouble connecting to the school’s WIFI, especially when all the students use the system at the same time and when phones are on. Teachers are also having trouble uploading lessons due to the same connection problem.  So, if a teacher prepares an entire lesson using Chromebooks and the WiFi goes down, it does decrease student learning time and it does create more work for everyone.

Some students even debate whether it was worth the money to give every student a Chromebook rather than spend the same amount of money to solve other, just as important issues.

“I think it’s kind of stupid, but also a smart idea at the same time. Smart because we can do work online and not have to be in the classroom. Stupid because the school system is spending money on laptops for all the kids, when there are bigger problems within the system that need to be solved,” senior Isaiah Overly said.

Students are having a tough time getting used to the way the Chromebooks are all of the sudden infused into the learning system. Having to bring a school owned computer home and back every day leaves room for students to forget them at home.  Sometimes students do not charge the Chromebook over night and it is possible that someone could damage the computer.

It seems that the jury is still out as to whether or not this new learning system will work, but for now, it is reality.

“We can’t change it now, we’re just gonna have to see how it works out throughout the year,” Government teacher Kellie Torrence said.