Boys & Girls Swim and Dive teams test the waters

BOYS & GIRLS SWIM and Dive team cheer on their teammates in the meet against First Colonial.

The Boys and Girls Swim and Dive teams make a splash every year and this year is no exception.

With talented swimmers from all grade levels, the team kicked off the season strong, defeating Bayside High School and then beating First Colonial High School the following week.

Head Coaches Jeff Kwiatkowski “K” and Bryan Rudolph are back to lead the team, welcoming many new swimmers this year, including Anna Michaud, Tara Larusso, and Dan Bannon.

“I wasn’t planning on swimming for Cox until a couple of days before tryouts. Peers, teachers, and parents found me in the halls and encouraged me to tryout,” Michaud said.

This season is a bit different than previous, though. The team is missing former Head Coach Joe Gentry. Gentry, who because the school’s first Head Swim Coach in 1995, led both Boys and Girls teams to the State Championships in 2013 and years prior. He passed in late November after a long battle with cancer.

This season, the teams will swim in honor of Gentry. Junior Katherine Degner swam for Gentry for two years, typically swimming the 200 free, 400 free, 400 medley relay, and 400 free relay.

“The passing of Coach Gentry at the beginning of the season was definitely a huge change in the dynamics of the team. But, without a doubt, the team has become that much closer, and we are even more inspired to achieve our goals,” Degner said.

Sophomore Cameron Bailey, who swims 200 IM, 100 backstroke, and multiple relays, is looking forward to continuing on with traditions, such as annual pasta parties on Thursday nights, along with dinners on Friday nights after meets.

“Pasta parties on Thursday nights before meets are probably the best. Eating with all my friends is a good combo,” Bailey said.

The Boys and Girls Swim and Dive teams will compete again this week at 5:00 p.m. against Tallwood High School at Great Neck Recreation Center.