“Griffin” the service dog trains for future service

While roaming the halls of CHS, it is not uncommon to spot an 8-month old black lab, side-by-side with social studies teacher Courtney Bennis who is responsible for the school’s welcome and  newest “student” addition.

Named “Griffin”, he is a service dog in training through Canine Companions. Canine Companions provides service dogs to adults, children, and veterans with disabilities, as well as facility dogs to  working professionals in healthcare, criminal justice and educational settings with no cost to their clients. The company was founded in 1975 and since its inception they have provided over 7,300 service dogs to people with disabilities.

“This has been a wonderful experience so far. Because there are so many new experiences for Griffin within a school it is more than helpful during his time in training,” Bennis said. “He is exposed to different noises such as the bell that rings between classes, he has to walk through crowded hallways, and he practices appropriate greetings with a variety of people. But it is also a good experience for the students and staff. People stop between classes to pet him, and he provides a way to reduce stress within the classroom. It makes people happy to see him.”

When not in school providing a much needed stress relief for students, he lives at home with Bennis and her family  until May of next year. Griffin will then enter a professional training program with hopes that he will soon become a service dog to a deserving human companion.

According to Bennis, while this is a big commitment, is so worthwhile. She highly recommends more people volunteer with Canine Companions as they are always looking for those willing to train the pups.