• June 6Seniors: mandatory grad practice at 10:35 a.m. at the VBCC on Monday, June10.
  • June 5Good luck to spring sports athletes as they continue into post-season play.
  • June 5Seniors: mandatory graduation meeting held at the school on Tuesday, June 11, at noon.
  • May 29Graduation will take place on June 14, at 1 p.m., at the Virginia Beach Convention Center.

CHS E-sports team makes state championship play

E-sports has recently become popular within schools around the country as so many people play video games now for fun, and for competitive reasons.

According to Exploding Topics.com, the industry’s size has grown to $1.64 billion with a 70 percent and over increase from last year, which was $957.5 million.

E-sports includes video games played in highly organized competitive environments, where the best of their respective gamers play off against one another in a controlled environment.  These games have a wide variety of genres, from team-oriented multiplayer online battle arenas [MOBAs] to first-person shooters, to survival battle royales, as well as virtual physical sports.

The Falcon E-sports team made it to the state championships at the the end of last month. The Mario Kart team, led by senior Micah Crandall finished in the top four in the championship semifinals out of 42 teams. The Valorant team led by seniors Manson Pagono and Dakota Fowler, finished in the top 16 out of 76 teams, while the Super Smash Bros. team remained undefeated until the last round of play, earning 2nd place out of 159 other teams. Senior Casey O’ Brist led the team.

“Our team was successful because they were consistently working hard and had great planning towards certain matches as well as everyone going above and beyond,” Obrist said.