Girls and boys swim, take down Kellam and Kempsville

Falcons Swim v. the Kellam Knights

GIRLS: 

What Happened: The Lady Falcons swim team took down the Kellam Knights recently with a score of 174 to 131.  Multiple Falcon swimmers finished in the top three of their [respective] events.  

Key Players: The 200 Freestyle A Relay led by senior Maddie Brunick, junior Samantha Bucklew, sophomore Ava Ostrowski and freshman Sophia DaCruz placed first.  Also, junior Maggie Dominick had her best meet of this season, placing first in both of her individual events, the 50 Freestyle and the 100 freestyle.  

They Said It: “I am so proud of our team for working hard these past two weeks, which has shown at the meets.  They took what they learned at practice and use it which is all a captain hopes to see,” captain Brynn Brazukas said.

BOYS:

What Happened: The Boys Swim Team defeat Kellam High School (KHS) last Friday with a score of 171 to 140.  Swimmers captured 1st place in several events.

Key Players:  Freshman Peter Krause placed 1st in the 400 Freestyle and dropped 8 seconds off his time.  Junior Andrew Boggus shaved 37 seconds off of his 200 Freestyle to finish first place.  

They Said It: “In an exciting meet that could’ve gone either way, both the girls and boys team proved how hard work pays off.  The captains and I are all proud of our team, and are excited to see our successes in out upcoming meets,” senior captain Tyler Gulnac said. 

Falcon Swim v. the Kempsville Chiefs

GIRLS:

What Happened: Falcon girls swim blew the Kempsville Chiefs out of the water last Friday with a score of 215 to 69, placing first in every event.

Key Players: Freshman Alexa Ozment placed first in the 200 Medley, the 50 Freestyle, the 200 Freestyle, and the 100 Backstroke.  The girls 200 Freestyle Relay team, consisting of senior Maddie Brunick, junior Maggie Dominick and freshmen Alex Ozment and Sophia DaCruz placed first. Furthermore, the relay team was only a second away from qualifying for the state meet.

They said it: ” Kempsville High School was a good meet to experiment on and try new things, everyone did their best and it really showed,” senior Blake Sissler said.

BOYS:

What Happened:  The boys swim team kept Kempsville High School under 100 points, defeating the Chiefs y a whopping score of 220 to 84.

Key Players:  Senior Captain Edward Finman placed first in the 200 Medley Relay, the 200 Freestyle, the 100 Freestyle, and the 400 Freestyle Relay.  Junior George Hubbard placed first in the 50 Freestyle with a time of 25.56 seconds.

They Said It: “It was a great opportunity for us to get up and race and it was a really strong first meet coming back from winter break,” Finman said.

Up Next: The boys and girls face off against First Colonial High School on Friday, January 31, in their last home meet of the season.