Cross country finishes runner-up

Falcon Cross Country raced at the Southeastern District Invitational last Saturday and filled expectations with finishing runner-up. The meet was significant to the team as it was a regional course preview for all 757 teams who will compete there in early November.

What happened: The Falcons competed in the Southeastern District Invitational at Bells Mill Park in Chesapeake this past Saturday, September 28, against other teams from the 757 including Chesapeake and Suffolk schools. The varsity girls’ team finished second behind the Knights of Kellam with 62 points, and the varsity boys placed seventh overall with a score of 198 points. For the JV teams, the girls’ team won the B race with sophomores Qiana Boyd and Christina San-Marina finishing second and third. The boys finished ninth overall as a team.

Key Players: In the girls Varsity A race, freshmen Bella Clark and Salya Brown placed in the top 10. All varsity girls helped contribute to the team’s success. For the varsity boys, frontrunners junior Jacob Wall and sophomore Tyler Dalton finished in the top 30 of their race.

They said it: “[The race] showed our placement as a team. I think we succeeded, coming second place against a 6A team is really good. I think we could have done better, and we need more hill work, but overall our team did well,” freshman Carsen Johnston said.

Key moment: The Lady Falcons’ top 7 all finished in the top 25 of the girls varsity race.

Up next: The next meet will be at Kellam High School on Wednesday, October 2. Girls run at 3:30pm; boys are at 4pm.