Homecoming: then and now

Homecoming:  the special week when Falcons, past and present, come together as one.

Students approach the football field’s gates as the adrenaline rushes through their bodies. Bystanders witness excited teens running around with green, gold, and black painted stomachs; admiring the spirit that fills the air. Entering the gates, one can hear the home team fans roaring and the anxious players and coaches yelling in effort to pump the team up for the annual homecoming football game just seconds away from kick off.

As the captains walk hand in hand to the 50-yard line, the crowd goes silent. When the whistle blows, silence turns to chaos as the fans jump to their feet. The homecoming game has begun.

All homecoming activities, including the sixth annual bonfire, the halftime parade, and the homecoming dance were directed by the Student Cooperative Association (SCA), as well as the Parent Teacher Association (PTA) and the Booster Club. All of these clubs combined efforts created this year’s homecoming.

“I have seen firsthand all the work the clubs and organizations put into homecoming because I helped this year. It gives me a deeper appreciation for homecoming and makes me enjoy it that much more knowing that I helped make homecoming special,” junior Megan Hollifield said.

Alumni also came back to celebrate homecoming, either taking part in events or simply acting as chaperones.  Varsity Football Assistant Coach and Physical Education teacher Nancy Fowlkes has walked the halls of the school since 1971. She is just one of many who returned to their alma mater, not only as a coach, but as a 42-year member of staff.

“My favorite part of the homecoming I see today is the football game and I love the coaching aspect,” Fowlkes said. “The atmosphere has changed slightly. Everyone used to be fired up all day, especially after the pep rally.”

Although times have changed, many of the events involved with homecoming are similar to days past. One of the biggest differences might be that students no longer dress up to attend homecoming ceremonies.

“The homecoming never gets less exciting year after year, but they haven’t changed much throughout the years,” former Varsity Basketball Coach and Physical Education teacher Stuart Holland said.  “We always had the bonfire, dance, pep rally, halftime parade, and the king and queen ceremony. However, homecoming used to be a real dress up affair.”

With each year comes a new homecoming; a new football game, new students, new ideas, and a new atmosphere.

“Homecoming has always been a fun week, but this year was my favorite because I loved the decades theme. The theme made the whole week more fun than it has ever been,” junior Austin King said.

Throughout the years, the school has taken homecoming to its literal meaning. For many like Holland and Fowlkes, homecoming is not just a football game and a dance. It is a true home coming.

According to Fowlkes and Holland, the love for the alumni is shown every year and that is the true meaning of homecoming.