CHKD Love Run collaborates for annual fundraiser event

CHKD LOVE RUN participants raced to the finish line during the event held at Thalia Elementary School. The Love Run committee and everyone who joined in to ensure the event was a success enjoyed spreading the love, while simultaneously fundraising for a worthy cause. (Samantha Radford)

A committee of teachers and students from CHS, Princess Anne and Kellam High Schools recently completed planning, organizing and implementing the 20th Annual CHKD Love Run. All involved joined in to spread the love and get the word out to any and all community members willing to participate in the worthwhile cause.

The event is a fundraiser in which all money collected is given to the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters (CHKD). And each year, a special child is chosen to represent the event.  This year,  the run/walk was dedicated to two Falcon faculty members whose child desperately needed services only CHKD could provide. Their story can be found on the Love Run website.

Each year, the Love Run begins at Thalia Elementary School.  Participants are able to run, walk or simply cheer on family and friends. As an added incentive, a local school band played live music for all to enjoy.

Local businesses  also helped sponsor the event, either with monetary donations or contributions for the food or gift basket raffles offered.

Through fundraisers alone, event coordinators were able to meet last year’s goal of $20,000, so this year’s committee members  set the bar higher with a goal of $25,000. Although the actual amount of money collected has not yet been tallied, all involved seem confident and are eagerly awaiting a grand total.