• April 26Good luck to spring sports athletes as they continue their seasons.
  • April 25Seniors: graduation necessities will be delivered to school, or order through jostens.com.
  • April 20Congrats to Orchestra students who earned accolades in Orlando; 1st place Orchestra award and weekend Grand Champion.
  • April 16Spring spirit week and the spring pep rally will be held the week of April 22.

Varsity Falcon baseball kicks off season, “First Pitch Dinner” tradition

Falcons baseball started the new spring season as opening day arrived in full swing. And, true to tradition, the team held their fourth annual “First Pitch Dinner” in the school cafeteria. And, the team looks forward to the dinner each year as it gives them a team building event to kick off the season.

The “First Pitch Dinner” has now become a tradition for the baseball team as seniors and juniors have taken part in this dinner since it began three years ago.  In these three years, led by Head Coach Matt Ittner, the Falcon boys have gone on to win the state competition two out of the last three years.

This year, the coaches invited retired Wavy 10 sports broadcaster Bruce Rader to interview the senior panel about their love of the game, team chemistry, and expectations for the year. The dinner allows the players, coaches, and parents to gather together with the addition of an interview of the senior panel. The panel was composed of the seven senior players in which they answer questions about their approach for the upcoming season and how to prepare for future success.

“The event got the team excited to start the new season off with getting us in the mindset of working together and developing a winning attitude,” junior Brendan White said.

Additionally, a youth camp fundraising opportunity was added this year called “First Pitch Saturday” ; a camp that is coached by the school’s varsity and junior varsity baseball players in effort to teach younger kids key elements involved in the game. Any monies collected from the fundraiser will go toward the team’s spring break trip to Charleston, South Carolina.

The Falcons began their season on Tuesday, March 12, against the Cavaliers of Princess Anne High School at Tilley Field where they boys won 15-1.  They play again on Tuesday, March 19, against the Marlins of Bayside High School.