• May 15Good luck to spring sports athletes as they continue into post-season play.
  • May 10Prom will be held on Saturday, June 1, at the Granby Theater in Norfolk.
  • May 10Junior Ring Dance will be held on Friday, May 17, at the MOCA.
  • April 25Seniors: graduation necessities will be delivered to school, or order through jostens.com.

Teacher Appreciation Week celebrates CHS teachers, support staff

The annual Teacher Appreciation Week celebrated teachers and staff who have unequivocally showed heart in order to help students grow throughout the year. Every day teachers and support staff go above and beyond to ensure that their students feel safe in an environment that is conducive to learning. As part of the Falcon “tradition” administrators and local businesses went out of their way to ensure that teachers felt special throughout the week.

“I hope they (teachers) feel appreciated . . . loved . . . and energized for the last few weeks of school,” Assistant Principal Carrie Pierce said. “But, we couldn’t do all of this without help from our community sponsors as well as the school’s clubs and teams.”

Teacher Appreciation does give students the opportunity to show teachers that they care, but the CHS administration decided this year to give the week a “theme” based on the sitcom F.R.I.E.N.D.S., a popular throwback from the 90s.

Each staff spirit day was based on one of the more memorable scenes from the hit show and included:

MondayThe one where we wear green and gold (Starbucks Coffee/Kolache Factory breakfast)

Tuesday–The one we keep winning (YNOT Pizza in the Wing/”The Joey Special”)

Wednesday–The One where we take a look back (treats delivered/BBQ Lunch in Wing/t-shirts)

Thursday– The one where we were on a break (Breakfast Biscuits in the staff lounge/afternoon treat)

Friday–The one where Falcons are Friendly  (taco bar in staff lounge and ice cream truck after school)

A variety of clubs, organizations and local sponsors donated to the cause, making teachers feel appreciated.

Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow (VTFT) I and II greeted teachers with flowers with “Thank you for helping us grow” tags, as they entered the school. They also delivered Jimmy John’s and homemade cookies on Thursday.

National Honor Society (NHS), the Library Media Center (LMC), VTFT, and the Service Club combined efforts to design thank you cards for all the teachers.

“After working at multiple schools, Cox . . . outshines other schools in the ways that they celebrate and appreciate and honor the hard work of teachers in this building,” Library Media Specialist Mrs. Ludford said.

Providers for the event were CHS administration, the Coffee Shop, Field Hockey, Football, Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA), SCA, Soccer, Tennis, and VTFT I and II

“It’s overwhelming how much work is put in to make us feel appreciated at this building, “Gifted Resource teacher Ms. Roberson said. “I’m actually just speechless . . .”