Letters to Editor: Sports Early On: Too Much Pressure?

Dear Editor,

“I agree that kids should be put into a sport at an early age. I think that showing kids and giving them the opportunity to play will allow them to make a goal and set their standards high. Putting them into a sport early on can help kids gain many different traits like teamwork, persistence, hard work, and competition. In the article it states, “sports can improve mental health.” This is true because the sport can be used as an outlet or a way to cope. Sports can keep the kids busy and can teach them that hard work pays off.”

-sophomore Atalee Booth

Dear Editor,

“I agree that starting children in sports at a young age is overall beneficial. The article talks about positives like exhibiting positive behavior, time management, and responsibility all correlating to playing sports. While all these things are good, I think making friends and forming relationships is the most important positive to come from sports. Even though there is some risk to injury in playing sports, the physical benefits outweigh their risks entirely. In my opinion, all kids should be involved in sports at an early age.”

-sophomore Barrett Pendergast

Dear Editor,

“I disagree that kids should play sports as soon as possible because you’ll get burnt out sooner. Although playing sports has many benefits, in the long run it would be more beneficial for kids to play sports at an appropriate age and try out a bunch of different ones. I also think kids should play sports but only when they’re mentally ready to commit to one. With that being said, kids should not play sports as soon as possible.”

-sophomore Lucy Haggerty

Dear Editor,

“I disagree with making your kids play a sport young. My mom and dad started making me play soccer and volleyball when I was only five. By the time I was going into middle school, I was extremely exhausted. Coming into ninth grade I knew my life was going to change. My social life decreased due to games and practices, and my depression and anxiety levels went through the roof. I loved playing volleyball but I couldn’t keep up with my life while playing. When this article said, “starting children in sports at a young age is overall beneficial” I knew right away that I disagreed with it.”

-sophomore Hailey Gillen