• February 20Leadership Workshop will begin Friday, March 22 - Sunday, March 24, at Silver Beach on the Eastern Shore.
  • February 20Spring sports tryouts will begin on Tuesday, Feb. 20, after school and continue through Friday, Feb. 23. Check with coaches for more details.
  • February 20The annual Falcon Forum conference will take place the week of March 18- March 22.
  • February 19Congratulations to Falcon wrestling for their 5A state championship win last weekend.

Letters to Editor: Social Emotional Learning: productive, pointless or somewhere in between

Dear Editor,

“This article is well-written but I disagree with it. The fact that our country has spent almost a billion of our tax dollars on mental health in school is insane. Only in this generation would people spend so much time talking about this. The reason students come to school is to learn, not convince them to feel depressed. Overall, I disagree with the article.”

-sophomore Peyton McDonald

Dear Editor,

“I disagree that social-emotional learning has helped. From what I have seen in class is that most teachers just use it as a study block, and when we do it, it’s just some stupid work. The program is way too expensive and barely does anything. Lastly, there have been many studies that have shown no academic benefits.”

-sophomore Hank Brown

Dear Editor,

“I agree with your claim. While social emotional learning isn’t a traditional subject taught in school. It is beneficial to students in many different ways. It is important to monitor students’ mental health, and SEL helps students make responsible decisions, learn self-awareness, and develop relationship skills. With the help of SEL, future generations will grow to be much healthier in school environments.”

-freshman Sydney Haftel

Dear Editor,

“I strongly agree with S.E.L. I’m a student who would do so much better if S.E.L. was a normal thing here. I will find myself drifting away and letting my emotions get the better of me to the point where I don’t focus. I do understand some teachers might not have time for this, but even if it’s just a break break or a group challenge, it would help so many kids. I truly agree with having S.E.L. in our learning community.”

-sophomore Hailey Gillen