Letters to the Editor- Student news censorship: harmful or necessary?

Dear Editor,

Your article about censorship on student newspapers speaks to me. I support your belief in this situation; not only does it grant students their rights to publish their work and inform everyone, but it also assures that students have full artistic ability over their work. If saving a school’s reputation means misinforming students about their safety, then it should not be allowed.

Ngan Pham ~senior

Dear Editor, 

I agree with the idea of censorship to a limit. Nowadays people have the power to ruin a person, place, or thing just through the media. A school is not the environment for that kind of drama. Outside of a school environment, I believe anyone can write whatever they want. I am a big supporter of freedom of speech, but when a topic can bring negative attention to the school, it should not be written.

Bowen Davis ~senior

Dear Editor, 

I disagree with censorship to a certain extent. I believe that censorship can be harmful in situations where we need to be progressive. For example: if there was an issue with misogyny in the school, someone should be able to write about it without being censored. However, if someone is spreading propaganda that harms others, that is a completely different story.

Julia Marcenczyk ~senior

Dear Editor, 

I disagree with your article. Censorship in journalism is not limited to student articles in school newspapers. The expressed beliefs in an article may not be the only reason for it to be censored if a writer for a big company published an article about fairies and ogres, they would get fired. So why do you think student writers should be able to write about anything they want?

Thomas Magushak ~senior