Humans of Cox: October 2023 Edition 2.0

As a tribute to the social media blog “Humans of NY”, the Falcon Press staff decided to create a spin-off entitled, “Humans of CHS”. Staff members will roam the hall each month until they find a “human” with an inspirational bit of advice, unusual story to tell, or who simply wants to chat about life.
SENIOR+CYRUS+THOMPSON+passionately+plays+the+guitar%2C+making+more+progress+each+time+he+plays.+According+to+Thompson%2C+music+has+always+been+a+constant+in+his+life.++
Courtesy of Cyrus Thompson
SENIOR CYRUS THOMPSON passionately plays the guitar, making more progress each time he plays. According to Thompson, music has always been a constant in his life.

“My name is Cyrus Thompson, and from a young age I’ve been obsessed with music and the science behind it all. As a kid, my dad and I would go on long drives in the countryside listening to his playlists and I think that’s what made me appreciate music more than normal at a young age. Something about putting headphones on and getting completely lost in music affects me in a way nothing else does. Besides that, my dad has played the guitar his whole life and when I was in sixth grade he got me my own. Throughout middle school, I didn’t really touch the guitar except a couple of times but freshman year of high school. I began to play every day as much as I could. 

Once I had gotten decent at it I started writing my own songs and jamming with my other friends who are musicians and it was in those moments that I found true happiness. Something about spontaneously making music with my friends with no plan or blueprint brings out something that can’t be recreated in music and is truly special to me.  Now I’m at the point in my life where I know for certain that music is my passion so I try and expose myself to new music and instruments as much as possible.

Although music is what I’m most passionate about I’ve realized throughout my life that taking advantage of every moment and appreciating the little things is what has brought me the most peace. From forcing myself out of bed in the morning, to tuning my guitar, to skating with my friends, life is full of blessings to cherish and it’s important we remind ourselves of that as much as we can.”

– senior Cyrus Thompson