Humans of Cox: June 2023 Edition

SENIOR CADEN BARLEY plans to walk across the stage with this years graduating class later this afternoon.  After coming to the school at the start of his senior year, Barley made his way to the top simply by involving himself in numerous activities.
courtesy of Caden Barley
SENIOR CADEN BARLEY plans to walk across the stage with this year’s graduating class later this afternoon. After coming to the school at the start of his senior year, Barley made his way to the top simply by involving himself in numerous activities.

I’m Caden Barley, a senior here at Cox, and if that name means nothing to you…that makes sense! I just moved here in August from Northern Virginia, where I devoted nearly all of my time to what I love doing most: theatre. Not only was theatre a passion of mine, but it had become a second family, and leaving that was like leaving my home for the first time. So, when I first got here, I wasn’t excited to have to start all over again (to say the least). For a while, I let myself be angsty and frustrated and alone, not even trying to change how I was feeling. But, eventually, I got tired of that, and I knew that wasn’t how I wanted to spend my entire senior year. So, I figured if I couldn’t go back to the way things were, I would try my hardest to forge a space that I wanted to be in now. I started getting involved little by little. Guitar Club at first, then Drama Club, then the VHSL One-Act, then Forensics, then Rho Kappa, and I just kept on going. I learned more about myself, grew in the things I love, and discovered new passions for things I hadn’t known before. By the end of the year, I wound up being awarded a Falcon Medallion, passed on to me by Ms. Torrence, the first teacher that helped me feel welcome at Cox way back in September.

When I moved, I lost a lot. But, I ended up gaining a lot, too. Getting involved around the school helped me find my place here. I discovered activities I enjoy, teachers I love, and friends (and bandmates) that will last a lifetime. And, as I look ahead, I know that my short time at Cox has prepared me for my future at Penn State, where I’ll be working to obtain my B.A. in Theatre Studies. Change isn’t always going to be easy, and it isn’t always going to be something that you have control over. But, what you do have control over is how you react to that change. Make the most of life everyday. Try something new, get involved, meet new people, and, most importantly, have fun! You owe it to yourself.