Recycling fashion: the art of ‘trashion’

Brooke Moore

FASHION MARKETING STUDENTS show off their ‘trashion’ at Mt. Trashmore’s Earth Day celebration recently.

FASHION MARKETING STUDENTS model their "trashion" fashion at Mt. Trasnore's Earth Day celebration last weekend.
FASHION MARKETING STUDENTS model their “trashion” fashion at Mt. Trasnore’s Earth Day celebration last weekend.

Fashion Marketing goes green for Earth Day.

Students supported not only their peers as they put a twist on garbage, but the importance of sustaining the Earth.

In conjunction with the recent Earth Day celebration at Mount Trashmore, the school’s Fashion Marketing program presented a unique fashion, rather ‘trashion’ show.

The show featured original student designs constructed from 100 percent recycled and repurposed materials including: old beach balls, newspapers, used CDs, trash bags, paper bags, and more. These ‘trashion’ masterpieces were created as a mindful and relevant study in stylish sustainability and were modeled by the students who created them.

“I thought a lot about recycling more at home during the process of making the outfits,” sophomore Fashion student Haley Henahan said.

During the show, each group of models performed a dance in their recycled ensembles that directly related to Earth Day.

“It was a challenge to come up with a song that related to Earth Day.  But, once the other girls and I put our heads together and collaborated, we pulled it off,” sophomore Madison Dominick said.

All in all, the Earth Day ‘trashion’ celebration seems to have been a success.

“It was exciting to be a part of the show and involved in the whole celebration,” Henahan said. “I am surprised and amazed at how many people really do want to help the Earth.”