Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow II students create podcast, gives students voice

VTFT Podcast

Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow (VTfT) is an elective where students who are interested in pursuing a teaching career learn the ins-and-outs of teaching through projects and internships. If students find they enjoy working with kids and and all that goes into the profession, Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow (VTfT) II is the second level of this class. At this level students have more hands-on opportunities within the school system and teaching. 

After some brainstorming, the first project students chose to take on this year was to create a voice for students by creating a podcast where they discussed issues in the school system that they felt needed to be addressed. The podcast, Falcons Moving Forward; A Conversation in Education, is completely student run. VTfT II students met virtually with a professional in California who taught them technology and strategy behind creating a successful podcast. In order to produce this podcast, students met virtually with a professional in California who taught them the necessary technology and strategy behind creating a successful podcast. 

Each student chose an everyday topic that they felt passionate about such as One Lunch, school safety, the new 4 X 4 schedule, the updated cell phone policy, etc. Then, interviews were conducted with principals, students, police officers, and other figures within schools around the city.  The information collected from the interviews gave students a chance to voice supporting arguments, as well as opinions from those who opposed.

VTfT II students plan to use this podcast to compete in the “Inside Our Schools: EdRising National” competition in March. The podcast is now available on Spotify and Anchor FM. The first episode: “Transitioning from Middle to High School” was released on the Wednesday,  November 9.