Letters to the Editor: student burnout: a serious issue or just laziness?

Dear Editor, 

I am writing in response to the editorial about students feeling burnout. This is important because some students spend all their time on school and young teenagers shouldn’t be feeling exhausted with their whole life ahead of them. This issue affects me because I am one of these students, crumbling under the pressure of the amount of schoolwork we are assigned. I think schools should be more considerate of their student’s mental health, especially counselors, who should be providing resources to students. I think high schools and colleges should be prepared to lower their expectations for students, because they are killing themselves trying to meet them.

Sydney B. ~ senior

Dear Editor, 

I am writing you a letter in regards to your editorial. You make some great points, but I respectfully disagree with most of the things you said. Whenever someone stops doing something for a long time and all of a sudden has to get back into it, it’s going to take time for them to return to the level they were before they stopped. This process is inevitable and happens all the time. What you did in this article is use mental health as an excuse for this process because this process is happening globally and it’s causing people to give up and become lazy. Personally, I think that schools don’t have to focus on “burnout” because it will go away with time. I’m sure mental health has worsened during the pandemic, but I don’t think “burnout” is anything serious and it will go away with time.

Kaylee G. ~senior

Dear Editor,

I’m writing this letter because I completely agree with your statement. Students are feeling more “burnt-out” than ever and schools should be helping out with this. As a high school student myself, this subject completely relates to me. After months of spending time at home, I have gotten used to the environment. This caused mine and many other students’ work ethic to drop, Many of those students’ grades have dropped dramatically. However, I feel as if schools have done very little about this, and are just shoving a normal school year right into a student’s face. They are not used to this now, and thus their mental health is declining. I heavily agree with the idea of schools helping with mental health because then grades will drastically improve. Schools across the country need to do something about this.

Sam A. ~ senior

Dear Editor, 

I am writing this letter to address your editorial on stress and “burnout” in students caused by school. While I can see where you’re coming from, I don’t exactly agree with what you stated. A school’s job is to teach young and promising individuals, a reasonable work-load is going to teach the students a number of lessons. While mental health is important, over time the work-load will feel less stressful as more people adapt to being in school again. I do think maybe slowly increasing the work-load would have been the safer route for going back to school instead of jumping into it. However, students will adjust most likely, and it will slowly seem less stressful.

Alex G. ~ freshman