Letters to the Editor: Student mental health issues through the pandemic

Dear Editor, 

This article articulated a realistic stance on how students truly feel in these trying times. Nobody could have seen this coming, and although technology has helped schools adapt to COVID restrictions, it’s still daunting staying in one’s room all day, sitting in front of a computer screen. Personally, I have gotten used to this way of life, and although my eyes ache at the end of the day, I am perfectly content with virtual learning. However, I know this isn’t the case for everyone. Kids need interaction with peers, as said in the article, and school serves as a safe haven for many students. It’s amazing that schools are opening back up but I feel like this article doesn’t explain that it just isn’t the same. People have to be 6 feet apart from each other, restricting the normal interaction that once was, with masks making it even harder. This article fails to mention what one can do to make themselves feel less isolated, but as these “vaccines roll out”, I hope too that things can go back to normal. 

Maeve H. ~ junior

Dear Editor, 

I agree that COVID has taken away a lot from us and life isn’t the same anymore, but I honestly don’t think it’s that bad. I mean, all the deaths and health effects are awful, but I kind of enjoy staying home from school. For one, this year I have gotten the best grades compared to when I was in school. I find that learning at school (at least for me) is very distracting with everyone in the classroom. However, when I am at my house, it’s just me and my computer and I am focused on one thing. Some of my teachers even record the whole class so when class is over and I am doing homework and I don’t quite understand the subject, I can go back and look over that topic that we talked about in class. In conclusion, yes I miss school and seeing all my friends, but I actually love online school and I greatly enjoy the company of me, myself, and I. 

Emily B.~ sophomore

Dear Editor, 

As a student living amongst a pandemic and having to deal with the struggles, I agree with your response to the mental health of students all over the U.S. and world that are having to learn different ways than normal. 

First of all, kids in this pandemic are kids of habit, we are used to doing things like we have been our entire lives; waking up early, getting on the bus/driving to school, learning in a hands-on classroom with social interactions, leaving school, and doing homework. Especially higher grade level kids have done this their entire lives. With school now being virtual we are getting little to none social interaction, many kids outlet for interaction is school and only school, and without this they are severely lacking. 

Second of all, higher level classes can be hard to take even during a normal high school year (i.e. AP Euro, APUSH, etc.) Taking these classes takes tremendous attention, thought, and focus. It is very hard to focus when you have many distractions around the home like we have now. These classes are necessary, but are extremely difficult to take at home. People are getting worse grades than ever right now, and bad grades can also hurt mental health, creating a vicious cycle. 

All in all, I agree that having online school and COVID restrictions can have a significant impact on mental health for a variety of reasons. This is why we need to loosen up and have less of an expectation for students. 

Joey L. ~ sophomore

Dear Editor, 

COVID-19 left plenty in shock and for a good reason. Many of our day tasks could no longer get done and the world flipped upside down. Mental health help is the most important reinforcement that is needed during a time like this and can still be done though in the midst of a pandemic. 

The virus is without a doubt a political topic. Though the bigger picture here is getting the virus out, focusing on the mental health for those who are being affected is key. Children all over the world were ripped out of their daily routines and placed in a continuous cycle of school work from bed, day after day. This is far from efficient and it has been proven. Plenty of people have stopped showing up for online school due to their lack of motivation. The lack of motivation comes from depression, anxiety, and the need for someone to give them that extra push, which of course is not present. There are ways to solve these problems. 

At a time where the big picture is all that seems to be shown, it is vital to stick to small communities and find happiness in the little things. There are plenty of things that got swept up in the wind of things because with so much going on, small things are forgotten. Self care begins with joy, doing the things that are loved, small or large, and eventually, one’s mental health will begin to improve. This pandemic has taught many things to many people. Obviously the virus is here, and it is certainly not going anywhere so as a whole, we need to find ways to fix our mental health. Just because we have limitations does not mean we give up, we work around them and fight through. 

Lilly C. ~ junior