ZONTA Fashion: “I’m every woman”

SENIORS JAVON MARCELLE, Leondis Griffin, and Time Sang participate in the Zonta Fashion Show.

The school’s Advanced Fashion class joined with ZONTA, an International Women’s Organization for service that aids women of all ages, for the 1st annual “I’m Every Woman” Fashion Show. The show was recently held at Old Dominion University’s Webb Center.

Assistant Principal Chris Colden used her involvement with ZONTA to partner with the Advanced Fashion class, as well as with current and previous Fashion teachers to put on the show.

“The theme ‘I’m Every Woman’ is meant to reach out to the different diverse women around the world,” Colden said. “I’m glad we could be involved.”

Clothing stores in the surrounding community such as Apricot Lane, Bahama Shop, Francesca’s, Dan Ryan’s, Stein Mart, WRV, and Be Jeweled also played a key role in the fashion show by providing clothing for students to model.

Senior Fashion student Andrea Betz was a key member in the organization of the show itself.

“We made the music and actively searched for all the props to be used in the fashion show,” Betz said. “Not only were the students able to coordinate with local businesses for door prizes and silent auction items, but they also scouted for hair and makeup artists to donate their time to the models.”

In an effort to make the show even more authentic, the Advanced Fashion class brought in Darlene Stevenson of Stevenson’s Modeling Agency to teach the student-models how to ‘walk’ and inform them about what happens behind the scenes during fashion shows.

Fashion Marketing teacher Jade Bolling, along with her students, oversaw all fashion practices and went to the fittings to assist the models in picking out clothes for the show.