• June 6Seniors: mandatory grad practice at 10:35 a.m. at the VBCC on Monday, June10.
  • June 5Good luck to spring sports athletes as they continue into post-season play.
  • June 5Seniors: mandatory graduation meeting held at the school on Tuesday, June 11, at noon.
  • May 29Graduation will take place on June 14, at 1 p.m., at the Virginia Beach Convention Center.
  • April 9Monday, April 15, is a staff day; no school for students.
  • April 8Good Luck to all spring sports teams as they continue regular season play.
  • February 20Leadership Workshop will begin Friday, March 22 - Sunday, March 24, at Silver Beach on the Eastern Shore.
  • February 20The annual Falcon Forum conference will take place the week of March 18- March 22.
  • November 29Orchestra's winter concert will take place on Tuesday, Dec. 19, featuring a guest artist from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
  • November 29Underclass course/elective selection: come to the gym during One Lunch during the week of Monday, Dec. 11- Friday, Dec. 15.

Staff Spotlight of the month: Mrs. Meyer

Mrs. Meyer is an AP English 11 and Honors English 10 teacher who has been at the school for 10 years.

Q: How would you describe your teaching style?

A: “Personal, direct, and demonstrative. So for me, that means building a warm and inviting classroom. I try to get to know each student on a personal level since I think that you have to build relationships to foster success. Also being very honest and straightforward and I like to lead by example and demonstration.”

Q: What is your life motto?

A: “One day at a time! My life can be overwhelming so be in the present.”

Q: What’s one of your favorite teaching memories?

A: “This is a tough one because every year is something new. I think it’s hard to compare and say what a favorite is but something I like every year is the middle of each semester because that’s when the classroom has found its footing and routine. the kids know each other and they know me, so it just feels like the best part of each semester.”

Q: What’s most rewarding about your job?

A: “The relationships with students and making an impact, watching students grow intellectually, and learning the skills that you’re trying to get them to master.”

Q: What impact do you wish to have on your students?

A: “So I always say that I want to prepare them for the next level, but also life outside the classroom. So for me, part of that is getting them to appreciate literature at least a little bit and the value of learning how to write well and speak well.”