Rho Kappa Honor Society captures history

RETIRED WORLD WAR II veteran William Jucksch shares stories at the Rho Kappa Honor Society meeting.
Kellie Torrence

For interested history students, the school’s newest honor society, Rho Kappa (RKHS), is a real catch. To draw students in, guest speakers come and enlighten members with their knowledge of past events, as well as every day current day topics.

RKHS is only open to juniors and seniors. In order to become a member of RKHS the applicant must have at least two years of social studies including classes such as Sociology and Psychology. The student must also hold a B average in social studies.

RKHS was founded by history teachers Darlyn Janson, Kellie Torrence, Vicki Faircloth, and senior Nick Webb.

“I always have been interested in history and Government and we didn’t have an honor society for it,” Webb said. “Princess Anne High School has one, so I thought we should start our own so people can be recognized for their achievements in social studies classes.”

In addition to meetings, held monthly in the library, RKHS works on fundraisers of all kinds. Their most recent fundraiser is to raise money for WWII veterans to go Washington D.C. to visit the war memorials, like the World War II Memorial. Janson helps Webb get the money together for RKHS and coordinate meetings.

“In conjunction with the meetings, we also offer activities outside of school for the students to get involved with the community,” Janson said.

In fact, Janson has scheduled a World War ll Veteran in March to tell his story about liberating Poland and Eastern Europe.

According to Janson and Webb, they are proud of the achievements they have accomplished with RKHS, and are glad students now to get enjoy the beauty of history.