Prom: One little, long dance

It’s around this time of year that the upperclassmen ask their significant others to spend a special night together, a longtime high school tradition known as ‘Prom’. Some students see this as a milestone, along with graduation, and as a day to celebrate the fact that high school is almost over for a good, and real life, for the most part, is about to begin.

Romanticized in countless movies and glamorized with cute, flowery proposals, Prom, whether many like it or not, is a staple in high school. Yet, one must wonder of its origins. Exactly how did an event ingrained and popularized as prom come to be?

TIME Magazine reports that ‘Prom’, which is short for ‘promenade’, actually traces back to the 1800’s in American universities. The magazine also stated that it was used mainly to help senior students develop social skills and the proper etiquette. At first, students wore simple church clothes, nothing fancy.

That is, until the Great Depression.

According to TIME, as the economy started to gain momentum, proms throughout the country became more recognized as an important event. More students began to show up and the formality began to fade. Furthermore, these proms began to of course, welcome pop music, party clothes, dancing, dancing, yearbooks, and the “dreaded” rock and roll.

With the rise of social status and popularity came the elections of prom king and queen. And the more money spent on prom seemed to make it more memorable.

Then in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s Hollywood also elevated prom’s significance, with movies marketed to teens such as like Sixteen Candle, Never Been Kissed, and Carrie. Prom has become that one night literally every teenager looks forward to, fantasizes about, or completely dreads.

Now, the term ‘prom’ means many things. To some, it is that night to remember from those romanticized stories, while others simply find it to be over-rated. Some many find it a night to truly impress their significant other, while others would rather spend the day binge-watching Archer on Netflix.

Whatever the feeling is, one cannot deny the impact and history of this one little, big dance.