Falcon wrestling starts season off strong, looks promising

The Falcon’s wrestling team continues their legacy this season and is currently ranked second in the 5A bracket.  So far, the team has won three matches against local rivals: Kempsville, Salem, and First Colonial High Schools. The Falcons appear strong once again as they head to the “famed” Beast of the East tournament this weekend.

This team is a bit different from previous years in that  it is led by juniors Ethan Merullo, Aiden Dougherty, and Rudy Wagner, as opposed to ore more senior members. Yet, each of these wrestlers could potentially make a run in the state tournament this year in their [respective] weight class.

“The team is off to a good start and the Falcons will have a busy January,” Varsity Head Coach Dalton Head said.

The team’s work ethic continues to shine bright though. And similar to years past, the message remains the same. The team wants to once again show their opponents that through hard work and perseverance, they will succeed.

“After we make it through regular season, along with the higher level tournaments we participate in each weekend, the guys are able to learn and gain experience. So, we should be dialed in and ready for postseason in February,” Head said.

Falcon wrestlers will have their chance to display more of their successes after the holidays but staying focused and fit is key. Ultimately, the Falcons look to win the region and hopefully send as many wrestlers to the state tournament as possible.