Guitar club doubles participants, headlining talent show

Guitar Club, a CHS extracurricular activity, provides a space for musicians to come together with like-minded people, share their musical talents, expand their musical horizons and learn from one another.

Guitar Club started in 2019 with only two members, senior William Bibeau and alumnus George Cobb.  Since then, the club has drastically grown as Bibeau and Cobb won the annual talent show in which teachers and students show off their exceptional talents.

And, as the club gains momentum and new talent, they have also been asked to make many more appearances this year. Some of these appearances include:  a featured float in the Homecoming parade, a special guest appearance on the hit show Friday Night Flights, showcasing the CHS Boo Bash Trunk-or-Treat event and the HOCO bonfire, as well as their participation in #Lunchag.

Government teacher Ms. Torrence has been the sponsor of the guitar club since the start and is continuously proud of how dedicated her students are and welcomes any interested in playing guitar with the club.

“I became the sponsor because I wanted kids like me in high school, who love music and need an outlet, to have a place to share and love,” Torrence said. “They are the coolest bunch of people ever.”

Guitar Club meets every Tuesday in room 229 after school, unless an upcoming event arises. In this case, students will get together every day to practice their songs.

According to senior guitar club member Julia Marcinzyk, she enjoys the club as it gives her the opportunity to meet other students at CHS who have similar interests and also play musical instruments; after attending the School of Rock, she enjoys having the opportunity to feature her talent on a more regular basis.

Guitar Club members will perform at the CHKD Love Run/Walk at Thalia Elementary on Saturday, February 11, and possibly at the spring pep rally.