Coffee Shop creates hand-on learning, real-world experiences

Special Education teachers Bailee Meekings and Ross Cardwell have been working hard to bring the coveted “Coffee Shop” back to life as the pandemic continues.

Originally, the “Coffee Shop” was created by previous Special Education teacher Bryan Malsch, who designed it in such a way that it was accessible to students, faculty and staff through 2nd block. Malsch encouraged his students to utilize their math,  problem-solving and creative skillset, adding it into their curriculum as hands-on learning and real-world job experience.

“I think the Coffee Shop is more effective now than ever before, and it helps give the kids life and work skills for after high school,” Meekings said.

Furthermore, working in the Coffee Shop opens new doors for these Special Education students to help them learn important life skills, help interact with other students in the building, and have fun while learning. Coffee Shop also teaches skills such as the use of everyday kitchen appliances such as ovens, air fryers, stove tops, and blenders; this  helps make the kids more comfortable in the kitchen environment. 

The “Coffee Shop” is still located in the downstairs science hallway, but its processes have changed over the years.  Now, it is only available during 1st block classes.  Students may go to the Coffee Shop individually, but classes must submit their orders by 8 a.m., the orders are then delivered to classes by student workers.

“The students learn to deal with customers and sell various products to the school, so its a win-win situation for everyone,” Cardwell said. 

Coffee Shop now offers a variety of different food and drinks to the students including: cookies, coffee, hot chocolate, grilled cheese, pretzels, quesadillas and more. 

“The experience is good and it helps me learn, I bake cookies mostly and sometimes a cheese tortilla,” junior Coffee Shop student Zakiyah Hayes said.