Beach Buddies invites students to ‘buddy’ up

The Beach Buddies club was developed a few years ago to “buddy” up Special Education students who may need a little extra attention at school. Since then, the club’s main goal is to not only go on field trips and play games, but help build lasting relationships. Beach Buddies generally meets twice a month and at the beginning of each school year each member is assigned a buddy in which to connect. 

“The Beach Buddies club is an organization that focuses on building relationships between special needs students and the student body. Myself as well as the other officers, juniors Taylor and Kayla Kwiatkowski, along with Will Katabian, work hard to plan fun activities to promote friendships, inclusiveness, and school spirit. We strive to get to know each of the Beach Buddy students and let them know they are an important individual who deserved to be treated like everyone else,” club president Caroline Holland said.

The club generally celebrates holidays throughout the year with music, food, singing and dancing. This year, however, Beach Buddies plans on taking a field trip each quarter, giving members more opportunities to connect.

“The feeling the members get after working with these students is humbling and something no one should miss out on,” Katbian said. “Me and my fellow bard members are very excited to begin the new year right. It seems there is quite an interest in our club and we couldn’t be more happy, not only to meet all our new faces, but to continue to make a difference at our school.”