Braving the unknown

SCA MEMBERS LAUREN Shirley, Noel Taylor, Bella Rave, and Sam Bonde prepare for the middle school workskhop.

Seimi Park

The school’s SCA Executive Board led the annual Leadership Workshop across the street at Great Neck Middle School.

The three-hour event was filled with instructional activities, icebreakers, and a skit performed by the visiting high school students. Three instructional activities employed three essential leadership skills: teamwork, communication, and problem solving.

According to the workshop’s motto, the Great Neck students “braved the unknown” as they learned how to become effective and influential leaders in school and in society.  Whether it’s their first year of middle school or they are preparing to enter high school, the school’s SCA wanted to help these middle schoolers feel more comfortable in future situations.

One of the Executive Board members who helped lead this year’s effort is senior Seimi Park, who played a role in the skit and taught leadership skills to the middle school students.

“I had an awesome time staffing the workshop,” Park said. “Being able to teach younger kids about the value of leadership is really rewarding and I met some great student leaders!”

This year, over 70 middle school delegates attended the event, and were accompanied by over half of the Executive Board.

The workshop required about two months of planning and preparation and a select group of Executive Board members met several times before the event to perfect their performance before Thursday.